This department was first established in August 2012. The first batch consisted of twenty-eight students and four Chinese language instructors.
- In First Semester there shall be 5 papers viz. 3 Major Chinese Language papers, 2 Languages (English as minor and Tibetan as supporting language
- In Second Semester there shall be 5 papers viz. viz. 3 Major Chinese Language papers, 2 Languages (English as minor and Tibetan as supporting language)
- In Third Semester there shall be 5 papers viz. viz. 3 Major Chinese Language papers, 2 Languages (English as minor and Tibetan as supporting language)
- In Fourth Semester there shall be 5 papers viz. viz. 3 Major Chinese Language papers, 2 Languages (English as minor and Tibetan as supporting language)
- In Fifth Semester 3 Major Chinese Language Papers, 1 Minor English Language Paper and Environmental Studies and Constitution & Democracy ( 2 General Papers)
- In Sixth Semester 3 Major Chinese Language Papers, 1 Minor English Paper and Computer Application ( General Paper )
- In Seventh Semester 3 Major Chinese Language Papers, 1 Minor English Paper and Secular Ethics ( General Paper )
- In Eighth Semester Project ( 1 Major Paper ) and Internship ( 1 Major Paper) and 1 Minor English Paper
The broad objectives of adding this program in the institution are:
- China’s growing economy and Chinese language will play a pivotal position in the world’s languages.
- Politically for Tibetans, the need to engage in a friendly dialogue with the Chinese people to resolve the issue of Tibet, it is essential to know the Chinese language as per the guidance of His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
- The department also aims to facilitate newly-arrived Tibetan students from Tibet in maintaining and improving their command over Chinese Language so that the students can use it in promoting Tibet’s issue as future leaders.
The Chinese language and Literature Department will ensure:
- Language level aspects ：To enhance language, writing and analytical skills.
- Literary aspects: To enhance the interest and appreciation of literary works.
- Cultural aspects: To explore the meaning of life and improving the quality of life at the same time.
- Critical skills: To help the students in construction of important theoretical values.
Area of studies
- Modern Chinese
- Students’ Quality Education
- Ancient Chinese
- Practical Writing
- Mandarin Tutorials
- Chinese Modern and Contemporary Literature
- Modern Chinese Literature
- The Concise Chinese Traditional Culture
- News Writing Tutorial
- Ancient Verse
- Chinese Grammar
- Spoken Chinese
- University Language
- Sino/Tibetan Translation – Theory and Practice
Additional (soft core) subjects
- Tibetan Language
- Tibetan Buddhism
- English Communication skills
- Basic Computer Skills
The course duration is four years (8 semesters), with a three-month internship.
Goals and competencies
The educational goals of the Department are as follows:
- To let the world know the truth about the situation of Tibet with the help of the Chinese medium of communication.
- To implement diverse applications of the Chinese Language.
- To improve students’ Literary aesthetic.
- To improve students’ overall personality and culture.
Students will possess the following eight core competencies:
- Literary reading and appreciation.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills.
- Capablity of gathering required data and understand the complex files. Also, capable of editing text or making corrections.
- Good oral and interpersonal communication.
- Professional ethics and interdisciplinary learning ability.
- Familiarity with the classical culture of knowledge, and capability of innovating and applying it in daily life.
- Ability to work in a team, and capability to provide solutions to various problems and affairs.
- Ability to comprehend any situation independently and provide constructive criticism.
Read this post in: Tibetan